Computer Literacy for kids coming soon!
Position: Youth Worker
Division: After Hours Youth Service (AHYS)
Section: After Hours Youth Service (AHYS)
Level: SCHADS Level 2.1
Position Reports to: AHYS Team Leader
Location: Gap Youth and Community Centre
Hours: After Hours – Permanent part time (Up to 30 hours per week)
Last Review: May 2021
Eligibility: Indigenous applicants strongly encouraged to apply
Closing Date: 3 September 2021
The primary purpose of the position is to engage with and build rapport with youth who access the Gap through activities on offer at the centre. The secondary purpose of the position is to use basic learning principles to educate youth using applied learning techniques with the curriculum provided by the Program Manager.
The position works as part of a team of youth workers who work in the After-Hours Youth Services Program. The position reports to the AHYS Team Leaders. The youth workers work collaboratively with each other, as well as youth diversion case managers, Reconnect case managers and is supported by the Team Leaders, Program Manager and CEO.
Work Health and Safety:
Values and Behaviours:
1. Minimum qualification Certificate 4 in Youth Work, Community Services, or related field.
2. Previous experience in youth work.
3. Knowledge and experience using trauma informed care and strengths based practices.
4. Demonstrated ability to use initiative, solve problems, and make informed decisions.
5. High levels of self-motivation and the ability to organise work priorities and the proven ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
6. Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain complete confidentiality.
7. Ability to write incident reports and follow mandatory reporting guidelines when applicable.
8. Demonstrated administrative skills.
9. Manual Driver's License. LR License highly regarded.
10. First Aid Certificate or willingness to obtain.
1. Ability to speak a local Aboriginal language.
2. Experience in an equivalent position - working with Indigenous youth.
3. Skills and knowledge in one or more of the following areas: sports, multimedia, arts, dance, music, nutrition/cooking or environment/gardening.
Employment with Gap is conditional on the employee providing NT Working with Children Check (Ochre Card), Satisfactory Criminal History Check. Persons considered for a position with Gap may be required to undergo a pre-employment medical examination and drug screen to determine fitness to perform nominated duties. Indigenous applicants strongly encouraged to apply